Sydney Metro invites suitably qualified and experienced tunnelling and cavern excavation contractors (Interested Parties) to attend an Industry Briefing and register their interest for the Sydney Metro West – Eastern Tunnelling Package.
Sydney Metro is Australia’s biggest public transport program. Services on Stage 1 of the network between Rouse Hill and Chatswood started in May 2019 on this new stand-alone metro railway system, which is revolutionising the way Sydney travels.
By 2024, Sydney will have 31 metro stations and more than 66 kilometres of new metro rail, revolutionising the way Australia’s biggest city travels. Metro means a new generation of world-class fast, safe and reliable trains easily connecting customers to where they want to go. Customers don’t need timetables – they just turn up and go.
Sydney Metro West is a new 24-kilometre metro line that would connect Greater Parramatta with the Sydney CBD. Stations have been confirmed at Westmead, Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Strathfield, Burwood North, Five Dock, The Bays, Pyrmont and Hunter Street (Sydney CBD).
This infrastructure project will double the rail capacity between Greater Parramatta and the Sydney CBD with a travel time target between the two centres of about 20 minutes.
The Eastern Tunnelling Package is the third tunnelling package for Sydney Metro West. The Eastern Tunnelling Package will build on the Central and Western Tunnelling Packages and extend the tunnels for Sydney Metro West from The Bays to Hunter Street Station in the Sydney CBD.
Additional information is available on the Sydney Metro website at www.sydneymetro.info.
Sydney Metro will conduct an Industry Briefing on the Eastern Tunnelling Package on Thursday 09 September 2021 at 1:30PM – 2:30PM AEST. The Industry Briefing will provide further details regarding the design, scope, key risks and procurement timeframes for the Eastern Tunnelling Package.
Sydney Metro will release the ROI on Thursday 09 September 2021 after the Industry Briefing. Attendance at the Industry Briefing is not a pre-requisite for registration.
• approximately 2.5 kilometre twin metro railway tunnels between The Bays and Hunter Street station sites, including mined cross passages;
• excavation of a mined crossover cavern at the east of The Bays station site;
• Pyrmont station mined cavern excavation, including two station shafts and associated adits and nozzle enlargements, including temporary ground support;
• Hunter Street station mined cavern excavation, including two station shafts and associated adits and nozzle enlargements, including temporary ground support; and
• turnback tunnels and mined caverns to the east of Hunter Street (Sydney CBD) station site.
At Pyrmont and Hunter Street station sites, works will also include:
• demolition of all existing buildings/structures on the four station shaft sites (two at Pyrmont and two at Hunter Street);
• the provision of cast in situ concrete linings for all mined station caverns, adits and nozzle enlargements; and
• ancillary works including utility services works and minor road works.
Full details of the ROI process for the Sydney Metro West – Eastern Tunnelling Package will be set out in the ‘Invitation to Submit a Registration of Interest’ document which will be available via the eTender website on 09 September 2021.
Refer to Additional Details / Instructions
Additional Details / Instructions
• The Industry Briefing is to inform Interested Parties about the Eastern Tunnelling Package and the registration process.
• Attendance at the Industry Briefing is not mandatory in order to submit a ROI.
• Given the current COVID-19 restrictions, Sydney Metro will hold the Industry Briefing via Microsoft Teams.
• To register for the Industry Briefing, Interested Parties must provide the following details by emailing Karen.Gao@transport.nsw.gov.au no later than 2:00PM AEST on Wednesday 08 September 2021:
- Name of Interested Party;
- ABN (or equivalent) of Interested Party;
- Registered address of Interested Party;
- Nominated contact name;
- Phone number of nominated contact;
- Email address of nominated contact; and
- Name and email address for Industry Briefing attendees (maximum two individuals).
Following registration, meeting details for the Industry Briefing will be provided to the nominated contact via email.
Registration of Interest:
• Registration of Interest (ROI) submissions are a prerequisite to gaining access to the Expression of Interest (EOI) documents and other Information Documents for the Eastern Tunnelling Package.
• The Information Documents will be made available to suitable Interested Parties (Registrants) via the Eastern Tunnelling Package EOI Data Room (Data Room) from 09 September 2021.
• Interested Parties are encouraged to complete and submit their ROI applications in a timely manner (and by no later than the ROI Close Date) in order to maximise available time to review the Information Documents, participate in one-on-one meetings with Sydney Metro through the ROI process and access the EOI documents (once available). Interested Parties should refer to the ROI document (which will be released on 09 September 2021) for instructions to complete their ROI applications.
• Access to the Data Room will be made available to suitable Registrants as soon as ROI applications are received, evaluated, and deemed acceptable to Sydney Metro.
• ROI applications are to be submitted electronically only, via email to Karen.Gao@transport.nsw.gov.au by no later than the ROI Close Date.
Expression of Interest:
• EOI documents will be made available to suitable Registrants via the Data Room.
• Sydney Metro is targeting to release the EOI in Late-October 2021. The EOI is expected to be open for a period of six weeks. Further details will be provided in the EOI document.
Sydney Metropolitan Area
Address for Lodgement
Conditions for Participation
See ‘Additional Details/Instructions’ above.
Interested Parties wishing to register their interest to receive the EOI documentation, including the Information Documents must, by no later than the ROI Close Date:
1. complete and submit the Registration Form (per Attachment 1 to the ROI);
2. execute and submit the Confidentiality Deed Poll (Organisations) (per Attachment 2 to the ROI);
3. for each Data Room user, execute and submit either of the following documents, as relevant:
- for individuals who are employees of the relevant Interested Party’s organisation: Individual Confidentiality Acknowledgement form (Attachment A to the Confidentiality Deed Poll set out in Attachment 2 to the ROI); or
- for individuals who are not employees of the relevant Interested Party’s organisation (e.g. consultants): Confidentiality Deed Poll (Individuals) (Attachment 3 to the ROI);
4. execute and submit the Deed of Disclaimer (Attachment 4 to the ROI); and
5. complete and submit the Data Room User Access Request Form (Annexure 1 of the Data Room Interaction Rules contained at Attachment 4 to the ROI).
In order for an Interested Party to be eligible to receive the EOI documentation, the Interested Party must demonstrate, to Sydney Metro’s satisfaction, that they possess the capability (either as individual entities or in suitable consortia) to design and construct a project of a similar size, scale and complexity to the Eastern Tunnelling Package.
To demonstrate the above, Interested Parties must provide details for at least two (2) projects with an equivalent size, scale and complexity to the Eastern Tunnelling Package where they have had a significant role in their delivery.
These projects must both have been delivered (or are currently being delivered) in the last 10 years, and the Interested Parties’ directly delivered works must be of a capital value greater than AUD $500 million.
Further details are set out in the ROI document, which will be available to Interested Parties from 09 September 2021.