Businesses in Sydney have been impacted by coronavirus restrictions and resulting in changes to customer behaviour.
As the pandemic took hold in March 2020, travel behaviours immediately shifted as workers remained at home and businesses dealt with the loss of workers, tourists and international students.
- As of August 2020 there were almost 50 per cent fewer people working in the Sydney CBD than in January 2020.
- Public transport patronage was down to 20 per cent during the initial lockdown, reverting to around 55 per cent of 2019 figures in August 2020.
The NSW Government and Local Councils are now encouraging people to return to the city in a COVID Safe manner, to boost economic activity and support businesses to thrive.
For details of this Innovation Challenge please visit https://future.transport.nsw.gov.au/technology/roadmap-in-delivery/transport-digital-accelerator/covid-recovery
What we are looking for?
Transport for NSW is looking to accelerate projects that invent new creative ways of activating the city streets, venues and destinations in a safe way, and connected by technology. We want to see ideas that could measurably increase visitation and economic activity in the Sydney CBD.
We are keen to partner with disruptive tech startups and organisations who can creatively deliver new experiences. Fast.
Stage 1: The COVIDSafe Summer
- For ideas in your back pocket, ready to go this summer (December/January). We’re looking for high-impact, shorter trials in the Sydney CBD. You might have a completely new approach or try applying something innovative to an existing project.
- If you’re a festival or event manager, we are looking for unique experiences that could attract people in a new way.
- If you’re connecting people active in the CBD using technology, we’re interested in seeing how you could reach a larger market of venues, events, etc.
- Think systematically about your impact upon businesses, customers, and everyone in between
- We are particularly interested in approaches to safety and physical distancing that utilise emerging technology.
- Consider collaborations - an applicant's turnover or size is less of a factor than their capabilities. We fully expect collaborations between tech startups and event managers or 'place’ managers. In fact, we encourage it.
- If you’re unsure if your idea suits this Innovation Challenge, ask yourself if it meets the above objectives. If it does, we encourage you to apply. If you’re still unsure, send us an email and we can provide you with a direct, publicly available, response.
- Applicants may request up to $70,000 in seed funding for trials of up to six months.
Refer to Additional Details / Instructions
Additional Details / Instructions
Please download and review Addendum #1 for further details.