Sydney Metro advises that the upcoming Request for Tender associated with the Independent Safety Assessment Services for the Sydney Metro West project is likely to be issued as an Open Tender in June 2020 requesting submissions under a Professional Services Contract.
This is an Early Notification only. Request for Tender documents are not currently available. Formal notification will occur if and when the Request for Tender is published on the NSW eTender platform currently anticipated in June 2020. Sydney Metro reserve the right to: a) not progress further in relation to this expected opportunity? or b) proceed in whole or in part with any aspect of this independent Safety Assessment scope.
In line with the requirements of the ONRSR (Office of National Rail Regulation) Major Project Guidelines, EN50126, 28, 29 and the principles of European Railway Agency’s Common Safety Method (CSM) on risk evaluation and assessment, ASA (Asset Standards Authority) codes of practice, Sydney Metro are to appoint an Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) for the Sydney Metro West (SMW) Project.
Independent Safety Assessment is about building confidence that the work under assessment is acceptably safe for the application i.e. the safety risk is reduced So Far As is Reasonably Practicable. It is not part of the project’s own requirement elicitation, verification and validation activities and should not repeat them, but it will contribute to the final safety argument.
Independent Safety Assessment is separate and independent from the system design, delivery or operations/maintenance functions of the project.
This assessment is to support the assurance case, culminating in a statement that the safety requirements defined for the project are appropriate and adequate for the planned application, and that those safety requirements have been satisfied throughout the delivery of the relevant phases of the project lifecycle.
The ISA will be involved throughout development and delivery phases of the project lifecycle to support readiness for the Operation and Maintenance phase.
The Scope of the ISA includes to consider relevant material (including the engineering system safety & assurance plan, engineering safety cases/assurance reports, design reports, systems engineering plans and products), monitor and review the hazard log as well as evidence from design, construction, testing & commissioning activities. This includes the Concept Design, Detailed Design Stages 1,2&3, Construction / Manufacturing / Installation phase and Testing & Commissioning through to Entry into Service and Performance Demonstration stages of the project, including support for relevant stage gates between phases (including NAC gates)
The Scope of the Metro West Project, includes but is not limited to:
· 8 Stations between Sydney CDB and Westmead
· Passenger transfer interchanges to other Sydney Metro Lines, Sydney Trains & other transports modes, as well as precinct facilities.
· Circa 50km of Tunnels, cross passages and operational caverns with Rail and Tunnel systems fitout
· Permanent Way
· Tunnel and Station ventilation
· HV and LV distribution
· 25kV Traction System
· Voice, Data and Radio Communications Systems
· Passenger Rolling Stock
· Engineering Maintenance Trains
· A combined Maintenance & Stabling Facility
· Integrated Operations and Control Centre
· CBTC Signalling & Train Control Systems
· Central Control System / SCADA
· Platform Screen Doors (PSD)
The ISA shall exhibit the necessary system safety engineering and assurance experience relevant to the scope of the project.
The ISA organisation should be an Authorised Engineering Organisation (AEO) or capable of achieving (AEO) status in Systems Engineering and Assurance: Independent Safety Assessment (ISA) as described in the attached AEO Matrix.
The ISA will be initially engaged for the concept and detailed design stages, with options to extend for the remainder of the project.
Regarding independence and exclusivity requirements for the Lead ISA (An Individual), ISA Team members (Individuals) and the Lead ISA Organisation (Company), the applicant should avoid any actual or perceived conflict of interest including, but not limited to the following:
· The ISA organisation cannot be the successful Engineering, Design and Assurance Partner Company
· The ISA organisation cannot be the successful Shadow Operator Company.
· The Lead ISA shall be independent and maintain independence of the design & engineering activities through the Metro West project lifecycle.
· If a member(s) of the ISA team undertake assessments on Metro West subsystems design activities in which they have participated a justification would be required to be provided to the principal and accepted by the principal, demonstrating how independence and probity are to be maintained. ISA Team members could be released from the exclusivity provisions if requested – subject to appropriate probity controls being in place. Sydney Metro are not obligated to grant release under the contract.
· The Lead ISA organisation cannot be the Lead Design Organisation for Sydney Metro West design activities except with the agreement of the principal. Sydney Metro are not obligated to grant release under the contract.
Information in relation to the Sydney Metro and the Sydney Metro West Project is available on the Sydney Metro website at www.sydneymetro.info
Covered Procurement Details
- The Procurement (Enforceable Procurement Provisions) Direction 2019 applies to this procurement
- A government agency may conduct negotiations with suppliers regarding the procurement